Health insurance for the period of your studies is a precondition for registration each semester. The BMC SCHOOL offers a compulsory combined health and travel insurance the fee of which is included in the tuition fee. In case of emergency you can use it all over Hungary BUT in other cases it is valid only at the BMC SCHOOL, where you will be treated by the SCHOOL Doctors. The insurance contract is sent to students who are required to apply for a student visa together with their visa documents to be used for visa application as well. Students who do not need a visa to enter Hungary will receive their health insurance contracts upon registration.
- Hungary has a continental climate.
- Winters are usually cold, cloudy and humid (average temperature between 0 and −15 °C / 32 and 5 °F), summers are warm (average temperature between 27 and 32 °C / 81 and 90 °F).
- The average annual temperature is 9.7 °C / 49.5 °F.
- The average yearly rainfall is approximately 600 mm / 24 in.
A list of living expenses in Budapest (approximate values)
- Accommodation: from 280-500USD/Month
- Utilities (water, gas, electricity, common fees): 54-90 USD/month
- 1 kg loaf of bread: 0.9-1.1USD
- 1 l of milk: 0.65-1.1USD
- 1 kg of local cheese: 5USD
- 10 eggs: 1.25USD
- 1 kg of rice: 0.9-1.8USD
- 1 kg of potatoes: 0.9USD
- 1 kg of tomatoes: 1.6USD
- 1 kg of apples: 1USD
- 1 kg of chicken breast: 1.8USD
- 1,5 l of mineral water: 0.45USD
- 1 bottle of beer: 0.7-1.4USD
- 1 bottle of wine: from 1.4USD
- mid-range deodorant: 2.5USD
- normal hair shampoo: 3USD
- 4 rolls of toilet paper: 1.25USD
- 1 tube of toothpaste: 1.4USD
- Monthly pass for student: 12.5USD
- Ticket (bus, tram): 1.25USD
- 1 liter of gasoline: 1.4USD
- Cinema ticket: approx. 4.5-6USD
- Theatre ticket: 4.5-10USD
Useful phone numbers
- Call code of Hungary +36.
- Call code of Budapest +1.
- Office of Immigration +36 1 463 9100.
- Police: 107.
- Ambulance: 104.
- Fire-department: 105.
- Other emergency: 112.
There are some holidays in Hungary when all the schools, shops and offices are closed:
- 1st January – New Year’s Day.
- 15th March – National Holiday.
- Good Friday – the Friday preceding Easter Sunday.
- Easter Monday.
- 1st May.
- Whitsun/Pentecost – seven weeks after Easter Sunday.
- 20th August – National Holiday.
- 23rd October – National Holiday.
- 1st November – All Saints’ Day.
- 25th-26th December – Christmas.
Currency and payment methods
- The currency of Hungary is the Hungarian Forint (HUF).
- 1 USD = approximately 270 HUF.
- 1 EUR = approximately 310 HUF.
- Credit cards are accepted in an increasing number of places (American Express, MasterCard, EuroCard, Visa, etc…).
- It is a good idea to bring cash if possible, since the banks ask for a 5% commission to change travellers’ cheques.
- Unless Western Union Transfer is used, bank transfers can take 2-4 weeks to arrive.
- It is difficult to use personal cheques – the banks need at least 1 month (usually 6 weeks) to process one.